My mom, at Soter Vineyards a few weeks ago
I shot a few photos in the fog in Carlton when I went wine tasting on my birthday. Unfortunately, I think the light meter on my camera was bumped and changed, and all the shots came out underexposed. These fog shots were even overexposed one stop to compensate for the brightness of the fog, but they’re still off. Slide film may not have been the best choice for these shots, either, as the EVs between the highlights and shadows are so many. From what I can tell, everything came out underexposed on the roll. I may have metered at 100 for 50 speed film. I may even have forgot what film I was shooting and set the meter myself.
Playing around in post, I realized that these would have been excellent B&W shots. Delta 100 would have been a great film.
Amid all of the wet green of the Hoh, there were numerous pockets of these red ferns. A lot of speculation was made over whether or not these ferns were turning color in the fall, or whether or not they were just red ferns. I still have no idea, though it is worth noting that there were many, many green ferns, so fall color doesn’t seem that logical.
Either way, it added nice diversity to the sea of endless green.
One of my Velvia rolls was a complete waste, because the light meter was nudged and changed to a few stops faster setting. This resulted in a full roll of underexposed shots. Velvia does not like underexposure, even the littlest bit, so the roll was pretty much shot. The slides look okay on the lightbox— not great, but okay— but after being scanned, they look not too great. This is probably because the scanner doesn’t have the dynamic range and sensitivity to save the shadows and balance the image. C’est la vie.
However, I liked this shot, and a few others from the roll, despite the underexposure. So I did something I usually never do: I post processed a slide scan. Since underexposed or shade exposed Velvia picks up very strong blue tones, I put a black and white conversion layer on this slide scan, and used a blue filter, which brought back the contrast and evened out the shot. I kind of like how it turned out.
I learned some things from this latest batch of slide film. One is that I really need an accurate, professional hand held light meter. It’s high on my purchase list right now. I ended up bumping the light meter on my TLR and changing it, which resulted in an entire roll of RVP100 coming out underexposed. It was kind of disappointing, but a good lesson.
Second thing I really need is a good tripod. My (old, crappy) tripod broke, so I borrowed my flatmates tripod when I went to The Hoh. I broke his while shooting photos. Cheap tripods suck. It looks like I need to quit wasting my time (and potential shots) and pony up 3 or 4 hundred bucks for a good tripod. I’m not looking forward to spending the money, but I’m tired of not so sharp shots from my TLR, especially from these low-light, low speed film rolls.